In today’s bustling world, taking the time for deliberate relaxation has become a modern day necessity. Between work, family life, and other responsibilities, the average person spends his day going from difficult situation to even more difficult situation. Crafting provides a great way to break out from this routine and de-stress for a little while.
Here are 10 reasons crafting is good for your mental health:
1. Crafting focuses our minds on a productive activity.
2. Crafting allows our stressful energy to be released through our hands in creative ways.
3. Crafting provides an outlet for creative problem solving, which creates the flexibility that is an essential element of stress reduction
4. Crafting, like any focused activity, creates a mild trance state which is highly conducive to relaxation and letting go of stress.
5. Crafting gives us time in our busy lives in which we can reconnect with ourselves.
6. Crafting is fun; and fun things reduce stress.
7. Crafting creates a time in which we are free from worries (about time, money, relationships, and the many other things we tend to worry about).
8. Crafting keeps us productive and when we’re productive we stress less.
9. Crafting is a great get-a-way without having to go anywhere.
10. Crafting is something we can do for ourselves (a self-care activity), and doing for ourselves (self-care activities) reduces stress.
So, the next time the stress becomes overwhelming, consider skipping the beer and chocolate, and reaching for the knitting instead!
Ben Klempner, LMSW, founder and editor of Effective Family Communication, is a trained social worker. Please visit his blog at: http://www.EffectiveFamilyCommunication.com